Thursday 31 May 2012

Graduand


A graduand. According to the online Oxford dictionary this is someone who is about to receive an academic degree; i.e. someone who has completed the requirements of, but not yet received the degree. That’s me.

Two weeks ago I sat my last exam of my undergraduate degree at the University of Edinburgh. I celebrated with cocktails and a walk in the Pentlands, enjoying freedom and being able to do whatever… until I was struck down with a sickness bug and back to being stuck inside again. Thankfully that’s passed now. Graduand life is a bit strange, there is a niggling feeling of guilt…that there’s probably something I should be doing. There’s a sense of reflecting on all that has been during these past four years, the people I’ve met, the things I’ve learnt, the person I’ve become. Yet it’s also quite exciting, I’m looking forward to the graduation and becoming a graduate. There’s also so much more to look forward to; holidays in Barcelona, mission trips to Peru, time at home with my family who I miss so much, resting, and the internship I’ll be starting in September. 

So right now, I’d say being a graduand ain’t half bad. It seems like the perfect opportunity to look back and reflect and look forward in anticipation. 



No comments: